Ancient ruins and amazing reefs blend together in an environmental wonderland of jungles and coastlines.
Belize is Central America’s eco-frontier, a young nation with ancient roots that welcomes you with diverse ecosystems and wildlife, as well as different languages and cultures. Discover the mysteries of the Maya civilization, zip line through lush jungles and snorkel in the crystal-clear Caribbean.
Day 1: Fly to Belize
– Meet your Tour Director at the airport.
Day 2: Belize City
– Travel by boat to the New River Lagoon.
– Take an expertly guided tour of the Lamanai Ruins. Named after Mayan ruler Lord Smoking Shell, who believed he was a descendant of the crocodile spirit, the name “Lamanai” means “submerged crocodile.” As a result you’ll come across a number of crocodile carvings (and even some real crocodiles in the lagoon) as you explore these ruins, which date back as far as 1500 B.C. View three large pyramids, residential areas, some open plazas, and a ball court. Make sure to check out the view from the High Temple, which looks out over the treetops, and the Mask Temple, where tall stone faces are carved into the sides of the structure.
– Visit the Old Sugar Mill.
Day 3: Belize City | Cayo region
– Travel via Sandhill to the Cayo region.
– Take a guided jungle hike. Seasoned Belizean bushmen will teach you jungle “survival” skills like how to make a fire, find water, and treat injuries during your eco-hike in Sandhill. See tropical wildlife and go floating in tubes in hidden caves containing remnants of sacrificial offerings from the Mayan era.
– Enjoy lunch at Caves Branch Outpost.
– Continue your adventure with a zip line tour through the broadleaf rainforest. You’ll learn how to properly navigate a zip-line before being zoomed from one platform to the next. The final platform is located directly on the banks of the Caves Branch River and features waterslides for those wanting a refreshing splash.
– Travel to the Cayo region.
Day 4: Cayo region
– Explore the Xunantunich Ruins.
– Visit the Chaa Creek Natural History Center.
– Visit a local school.
Day 5: Cayo region | Ambergris Caye
– Visit the Belize Zoo.
– Travel by ferry to Ambergris Caye.
Day 6: Ambergris Caye
– Snorkel at Hol Chan, the first marine reserve
established in Central America.
– Enjoy a free afternoon in Ambergris Caye.
– Snuba (snorkel/scuba combination) Excursion
Day 7: Ambergris Caye
– Enjoy a free day in Ambergris Caye.
Day 8: Depart for home
– Return by ferry to Belize City.
– Depart for your flight home.
View the Tour Guide for more details!