If you have not already, it is a good idea to sign up for STEP through the U.S. Embassy.
From the U.S. State Department:
What is STEP?
The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service that allows U.S. citizens traveling or living abroad to enroll with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
Benefits of enrolling in STEP:
- Receive the latest safety and security information for your destination country, helping you make informed decisions about your travel plans.
- Help the U.S. Embassy contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency.
- Help family and friends get in touch with you in an emergency.
When you enroll in STEP, you will automatically receive the most current information we have about your destination country, including:
- Security and Emergency Message updates from the U.S. Embassy
- Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts
Just sign up once, and then add trips later for all your future travel plans!
Enrolling in STEP will help the U.S. Embassy to contact you and provide assistance to you in an emergency. The information you provide in STEP will make it easier for consular officers at U.S. embassies and consulates around the world to contact you and your loved ones during an emergency — including situations where your family or friends in the U.S. are having difficulty contacting you with important news.
We believe that a well-informed traveler is a safer traveler. Our consular officers around the world compile Country Specific Information, Travel Alerts, Travel Warnings, fact sheets and emergency messages to provide you with timely and accurate information about every country where you may travel.
We include reports on risks and security threats so that you can make informed decisions about your travel plans and activities.
Stay informed by connecting with us via the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program so you can have safe and enjoyable travels!